Beginner sewers will use La Movida Design Studios’ own in-house developed patterns which include 6 tried and true designs that you can choose from:
backpacks, hoodies, lounge pants, shorts, skirts, and dresses
This is great for all entry-level to novice sewers as we can help you bring your skills to the next level!
Novice students can bring their own patterns/projects, or begin with some of ours. Build your foundation for all things sewing! This is an on-going class offered weekly with really fun sewing projects.
Intro to Sewing
- ONE TIME 3 hour course
- Learn fundamental skills of using the sewing machine
- Take home a one of a kind project at the end of the workshop.
- Learn how to thread your machine
- Learn how to sew on the curve, pivot, and in very straight lines
- Experiment with various stitches, seam finishes, and fabric choices
- SIX 2 hour classes
- Choose from 6 patterns, including backpacks, pants, shorts, skirts, hoodies, and dresses
- Build your foundation for all things sewing, learn how to read a pattern, how to lay out a pattern onto fabric, how to choose appropriate fabric,
- Learn how to construct a garment including seam finishes, hemming buttons and buttonholes, sew a dart, insert a zipper, finish a elastic waistband, and create pockets
- Learn how to adjust a pattern to fit to create perfectly fitting garments
- Classes for the budding fashion designer
- Work on all aspects of the fashion and textile industry, with textile flats, pattern drafting, illustration, and much more!
- Create a fashion portfolio and perfect your design skills
- Six, 2 hour classes
* Our Adult Sewing & Fashion Designer Prep. Classes may be combined with the Intro to Sewing Class – get 7 classes for $366! *No adult classes during Winter Break/holidays.
Intro to Sewing
A one time, three-hour class that can help anyone get comfortable using a sewing machine! In this class, students will learn how to thread the machine, basic sewing stitches, seam finishing techniques, marking and cutting fabric, cut out pattern pieces and gain the skills needed to create their very own, take home Market Bag! Sewing supplies, such as state of the art machines, rulers, pins, weights and fabric are provided to all students registered in our Intro to Sewing class. This course is a prerequisite for the adult beginner sewing class and includes a $25 credit towards more sewing classes.
Beginner sewers will use La Movida’s own in-house developed patterns. This includes patterns for backpacks, hoodies, lounge pants, shorts, skirts and a simple dress! This is great for all entry-level to novice sewers as we can help you bring your skills to the next level! Students will learn how to read basic patterns, follow pattern instructions, make simple pattern alterations, layout and cut fabric, and learn basic garment construction with our state of the art sewing machines!
Experienced sewers are welcome to bring their own patterns/projects or begin with one of ours. Build your foundation for all things sewing! Adult classes are ongoing, self paced, and offered weekly. Students can join at anytime! Students must choose six consecutive classes over a thirteen-week period. *Fabric costs not included in price
At La Movida we take pride in the success of our students reaching their fashion goals! Portfolio Prep was designed to aid in the success of students looking to pursue fashion in a post secondary institute. In this course students will build their own Fashion Portfolio by designing a 3 look capsule collection. Students will learn how to draft patterns, cut different types of fabric and sew one of the looks they previously designed. Instructors are also available to assist students in completing their desired institutes specific portfolio requirements. This class is for students who are interested in building a career in fashion and wish to enter to a post-secondary institution to study fashion design.